ANST - Spurs?

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Oct 14 15:35:27 PDT 1998

>     I took my question to Baroness Lorriane and Sir Keif about it. I
> could be wrong but that is the repky I got.

Although spurs are a part of the knighting ceremony and are our closest link
with the period knight, there is nothing that reserves the wearing of spurs
to only the Chivalry. Only the white belt and unadorned gold chain are reserved.
The wearing of gold spurs by someone other than a member of the Chivalry is
not proscribed but could be considered by some to be rude.

In fact, golden spurs are not so much a symbol of knighthood, but of a knight
that has proven himself in battle. Although a period knight may have been gifted
with golden spurs in his ceremony, he still had to go out and "earn his spurs" before
being fully accepted by the old campaigners. Even Henry VIII refused to knight
anyone until they had proven themselves in combat.

I have known of knights who got upset at a non-Chiv wearing spurs but I, personally,
have no problems. I feel that this goes back to the old common-sense argument.
If someone is wearing spurs as part of his/her personna and is not trying to pass
themselves off as anything different than what they are, no problem.

In fact, one of my daydreams of being King includes gifting a member of the Chivalry
and an unbelted with spurs for the finest display of skill and valour during my
reign. Ah...aren't daydreams wonderful....

Well, you get my point.

Yers,

Gunthar