ANST - Sumptuary Laws Elsewhere

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Oct 20 12:01:26 PDT 1998

> > chains" but that's about it. If someone isn't a squire but wears a red belt
> > and is willing to take the lumps for it, then go right ahead. Same goes for
> > the cord.
>
> My esteemed Knight, why should there be ANY lumps associated with this? And
> why should someone have to be willing to take lumps in order to wear a red
> or yellow or green belt or white cord? None of these is reserved for a
> particular group.

There is not a reason someone should "take their lumps" in a perfect world. However
in this Society these belts have meaning, whether or not they should. But the fact is
that they are viewed as symbols of service. So the point is that while these symbols
are not proscribed, they are accepted as such and the wearer may have to be considered
as such.

Now, I don't think being mistaken for a student will really interfere with a person's
event since I don't think we ask too much of squires or protoge's in the general sense.
(i.e. "Squire! Carry this ice chest!)
I think the worst that could happen is someone would confuse you as a squire or such
and you say you aren't one.

The only real flak I could see someone running into would be by a squire or apprentice
who had worked very hard to gain the belt and to feel a bit insulted by someone wearing
a symbol they had worked hard to achieve.

As for someone wearing a proscribed item as part of a costume, they could be warned that
some would have trouble with them wearing such a symbol but as long as they were not
making an attempt to fool people there shouldn't be a problem.

I hope this is a bit clearer.

> Stefan li Rous

Yers,

Gunthar