ANST - Sumptuary Laws Elsewhere

Bob Dewart gilli at seacove.net
Tue Oct 20 21:31:05 PDT 1998

Hi Mistress Xene,

Old times to be sure.

What we ended up doing, before I finished my research, was braid two white
ropes with one red one.  Since they didn't make red rope, I was the one who
lost the toss and had to die them red.  I guess we were lucky the same folks
didn't think we were trying to both a knight and a squire.

The amazing thing was, that after I had done my research and knew what I was
talking about, we were never again bouthered about it.

Gilli

(Snip)
>It was about 20 years ago, at the investiture of Prince Randall and
>Princess Constance.  There was a household of monks from the monastery of
>St. Hubrick the Huntsman (mostly from Ft. Hood).  I believe they were
>Franciscans (they wore brown habits).  My ex-husband was one of the company
>and told about having problems with some knights who objected to the
>(obvious) monks wearing the cinctures of white or hemp rope.  There was
>talk of ejecting the monks forcibly from the event if they did not remove
>the offending items.  Duchess Willow came to the rescue by giving the
>company of monks some gold/black cording to wrap around the offending ci
>nctures.
>
>This was actually before my time in the Society and I am relating the story
>as it was told to me.  But I did see the white rope with the cording
>wrapped around it.  And somewhere I have pictures of Randall's and
>Constance's wedding and elevation.  Wasn't it actually at a monastery or a
>church?

I don't remember, I think I was in the field then.  You'll remember, I was
in the Army then.