options ??? ... Re: ANST - Reply to Pompous Asses

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Oct 21 17:11:13 PDT 1998

On 21 Oct 98, at 17:27, MofLGM at aol.com wrote:

> At this time I don't feel that much would be gained by having you call the
> offending party on the carpet.   I wish that it had been done at the time.

excellent point ... time tends to decrease the power of such a  correction.
from raising many hounds, unless you confront and correct the offending
beast immediatly, correction is useless.  at this point in time, better to
reflect and learn the lessons that were presented.

should such a incident occur in the future, your best recourse would
probably be to seek out a member of the order involved so the perceived
above/below advantage that appears to have been at work in this incident is
evened out into a peer/peer one.  i've known many good knights and
masters over the last 23 years and i doubt that any would have hesitant to
confront the person involved  ...  most would have considered it a
requirement of their order that they do so (as it should be)

> In the five years that have passed since the incident I have watched this
> person be honored by others for his efforts.

five years is a long time, and it's unlikely that he's the same person now as
then ... perhaps those rough edges have been eroded down a bit?  most
people learn and evolve.  i've seen a many knights and masters who carried
some rough areas (we're all human, right) into the order ... and many were
self aware enough that they grew in different and better ways after their
elevation.  if the system is working correctly, there's intense level of peer-
pressure (nice pun, that ...) that tends to improve such people ...

> My only lasting regret from this sorry mess is that I could not have
> intervened while the incident was in progress.  I don't know if I could
> have changed the outcome.  But if I could have, then whenever I fight in a
> tournament and the heralds ask us "to salute the person whose favor you
> bear" then my wife would be there to see with her own eyes what I have to
> relate to her in words when I get home from the event.

nothing is forever ... sometimes people who were badly burned or
disillusioned find a way to make it back .

if such a incident happens again .. there's a very celtic way to deal with it.
seek out a bard and commission a satire against the offending party.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves