ANST - Big fish/small ponds, classes, and disgusted newcomers

Casey&Coni weed at sage.net
Wed Oct 21 23:29:03 PDT 1998

Regarding potential paperwork where screening classes is concerned, this
thought crossed my mind:

Rather than have some complicated system where we essentially create another
office (the instructor general) how about simply posting a standard whereby
anyone who intends to give a class is required to give it to at least
three(or another arbitrary number... no more than 5) peers- the variety
pertaining to the subject matter: laurels for arts classes, pelicans for
service issue classes, and knights for fighting issues.  The officiality of
this business could range from something as strict as a form with the name
of the course and the signatures of the authorizing peers to an honor system
that simply takes it for granted that you would follow these guidelines.  I
think that would certainly guarantee at the very least a good deal more
preparation for classes than we see on average at the events in our
kingdom... and at best would weed out those classes that find us generally
wondering if the 'instructor' perhaps was inspired by Army of Darkness(a
finer film has never been made, I tell you) and documented using a Disney
coloring book.

I tell you all that we could learn a good deal from Calontirs 'Rush' program
at Lillies... they screen all their instructors and have achieved, in my
opinion, a near zero dud-rate.

Dieterich