ANST - WAS Big Fish-Now Newcomers and Paperwork

Thu Oct 22 16:54:08 PDT 1998

> already at the point where there is a class on how to do gate at events
> (some call it troll).

Unfortunately, controlling the gate is serious business.  Money changes
hands and the Exchequer has a hissy fit if the books don't balance.  A few
of us got tired of signing in three different books and when we did an event
got the paperwork down to one page (mundanely most of us were bureaucrats,
so we applied paperwork reduction).  The back of each page has the waiver
printed on it. The front has a line for each person signing in with spaces
for all of the pertinent information. In the book, the waiver can be read as
you sign in, so you are effectively handling, waiver, site fee and feast fee
in one pop.

> first time I went to a populace meeting, it was a class on how to
> conduct troll.
>    The need to conduct these classes may be real, but can't they risk
> running off new folk who come to a meeting with whatever that
> individual's Middle Ages interest is,

Anyone can handle the above paperwork with about 15 minutes training.  Every
half hour or hour, the chief gate guard on duty counts down the money box
and prepares a drop envelope.  The count is double checked by one of the
other people on the gate.  When both agree, the money is sealed in the
envelope, the amount is written on it and the counters sign it.  The money
is then placed in a locked vehicle.  When the gate closes, the Exchequer,
Seneschal, Autocrat and Head Gate Guard usually count down the draw
verifying envelope contents against amount on the envelope and matching the
money against totals in the sign in books.

In general, if there is a problem at the gate, you call the Head Gate Guard,
the Autocrat, or the Seneschal.  The Head Gate Guard and the people serving
as the chief gate guard on duty may need to know more about how to handle
things, but it is not rocket science.  You should be able to run interested
parties through the drill in less than an hour.

>   . I have evidently
> been more fortunate than some, because I have found advice plentiful and
> friendly here in the Northern region when I have asked for help.
>
>    Have A Great Day!
>    Volstarr

I'm glad.

Bear