ANST - Big fish/small ponds, classes, and disgusted newcomers

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Oct 23 17:38:48 PDT 1998

Casey&Coni wrote: 0

> Any of you laurel teacher-fu types out there wanna comment on this?  You've
> been surprisingly quiet and I fear a lynch party is gathering for me...

Well, may be not a lynching.. yet (grin).   Anyway, as a laurel and someone who
has taught class... I find the whole idea of making 'teachers' get accreditted
within the context of the SCA somewhat distasteful.  This is a volunteer
organization and anyone wanting to teach a class is more than welcome.  If the
class is not a good one, people can either walk out or not go to that class
again if offered. If a class is a wonderful class, people will be clamoring to
go to another class that person has taught.
I do think that having people fill out a class evaluation or survey would be
helpful. This way, the organizers of the college, or classes can get an idea how
the students viewed the teachers, material taught, etc.
Also, I think it would be great if the course schedule can list if a class is
for beginners, intermediate or advanced level students (especially where certain
arts and sciences are concerned).
I just would hate to see another system set up that will intimidate people and
also cause some one to be 'blocked' out due to any reason.

my few cents....

Meadhbh

> signed,
>
> ummm... Hanse Schneider