ANST - Filtering teachers/fighters

Jerry Dreifuerst morganson at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:25:06 PST 1998

Greetings unto all,
Othar here.

Gunnora related the following:
>Screening teachers is like saying, "We will not allow anyone to fight
>in a tournament who has not been thoroughly tested and certain to >give
a good fight to any opponent and entertain the onlookers every >time as
well."  We don't screen fighters in that way - they let me >onto the
field even at Crown if I want to get out there and fight, >and it is my
sovereign right to get out there and make a complete ass >of myself by
getting one-shotted by any number of people.

To differ on this one point, at Crown there is a review system in place.
Usually as a competitor for Crown Tourney presents him/herself before
TRMs, if that fighter is not a Knight, the Crown asks if there is a
member of the Chivalry who will speak for them.  In this fashion our
Crown lists _are_ screened.  Though I have not seen a contestant go
unspoken for in the past dozen or so Crowns I've attended, it still
remains a filter for straining out the possibly too foreign or too
green-horn fighter from the list.

There are also any number of other Great Tourneys, Lioness, Worthies,
etc., where not just any fighter can enter the lists.  In some form they
must have a sponsor, someone to speak or support their claim to enter.
In many respects these tourneys also _screen_ combatants.

In regards to teaching classes, I'm sure I'd rather be in a class taught
by a good teacher.  Sometimes these _good_ teachers are experts in their
fields, othertimes they may be beginners themselves who are imparting
what knowledge they have.  For myself, I'd rather be in an expert
teacher's class who knows less about the subject than in an expert in
the material who knows little of teaching.

Othar Morganson                  MKA: Jerry Dreifuerst
Stargate, Ansteorra                   Houston, Texas
morganson at hotmail.com                 jerryd at neosoft.com
Ansteorra's newest Centurion :)