ANST - Filtering teachers/fighters

AuroraeB at aol.com AuroraeB at aol.com
Mon Oct 26 08:47:47 PST 1998

<< In regards to teaching classes, I'm sure I'd rather be in a class taught
 by a good teacher.  Sometimes these _good_ teachers are experts in their
 fields, othertimes they may be beginners themselves who are imparting
 what knowledge they have.  For myself, I'd rather be in an expert
 teacher's class who knows less about the subject than in an expert in
 the material who knows little of teaching. >>

This is SO true,

A teacher may have a mastery of a very small amount of knowledge on a subject,
yet present that little bit of knowledge in a way that is entertaining,
attention getting, and interest sparking.  Wheras a teacher who is a veritable
walking encyclopedia on a subject may be completely out of touch with the
students' level of comprehension or present the material in such a rote manner
that the students zone out on them after a few minutes.

The balance is important.  There is no guarantee a "master" of any subject can
teach it effectively, and there is no reason why a lesser-educated person
cannot teach what they DO know very effictively.

We all have had teachers who were either dry as dirt or captivating.  And we
have all, as beginners, had teachers present material to us over our heads
with technical terms and jargon.  Some people are natural teachers, some can
get the job done effectively, and some need coaching.....  Still, a few others
lack the interpersonal and social skills to present information to a group
effectively.  There are a LOT of potential teachers out there.

Maybe come up with a handout for prospective teachers with teaching tips.
Especially for those who have not taught at all before.  And, if it is a
beginner class, require a lesser amount of study/experience in that subject
than if it were an intermediate class or advanced class....  If it is still an
issue, have instructors teach a beginner class, and if all goes well, THEN let
them teach intermediate and advanced classes.

This way ALL get to try their hand at teaching.  Nobody has to say if they can
or cannot.  Somebody may not have the study skills not the desire to "master"
a subject, but can still put their elementary knowledge of it to use by
teaching those who are beginners.  There may also be MANY prospective teachers
who flat out fear negative reaction by those who would judge a teacher worthy
to teach.  Fear of negative response to ones' efforts surely holds some back.

This is a way to get more than an upper echelon of "masters" involved in the
teaching process, and make it more approachable to the average person who
either cannot or simply does not reach that level.....

There is a way to make this fair, workable, and open to ALL who wish to
participate.

Tracy