ANST - Teachers

Kyle Charity kylethesweet at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 13:02:09 PST 1998

Greetings,
The following lines bring up a question I have had about the SCA for
some time now.

> By the way, if you're wondering about my credentials on teaching; I'm
> a combat vet. I teach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. Have for years.>
> Grace and Peace,> > Jovian

Please forgive me if this is a question long dead but I am fairly new
to the list.  I have been playing somewhat independantly in the SCA for
about a year and a half now and have been curious if there is any
recognition for "Real World" accomplishments.  For instance, Jovian
indicates that he is a Combat Vet and a teacher.  Shouldn't he receive
some special consideration for his "Real Life" hard work?  Some
slightly abbreviated path to Rank and Title?  Something?  Obviously,
not everyone's "Real Life" experience applies to SCA life and therefor
no consideration would be necessary.  I myself am a long time system
engineer but don't expect that to help me find a quick path to
Knighthood.  I am also not suggesting that simply working in a field or
having done something once or twice in real life qualifies you, but
perhaps a Kendo Black Belt should automatically be considered for
Squiredom or a Class B fencer become a Cadet.  The point is that I have
seen some people who have "Paid Their Dues" in "Real Life" be turned
away from participation because they don't want to "start over".
Perhaps this is a ridiculous concept and these are merely the ramblings
of an idiot.  If so, feel free to let me know.

Salud,
Connor MacElroy
First Sword of the Order of Five Virtues