ANST - On Laurels (Was Rank and Shortcuts)

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Oct 27 13:15:16 PST 1998

> This brings up a topic I'm curious about-Laurels entering
> A&S competitions.  I've noticed that there seems to be an
> expectation that once Laurels have received their peerage,
> they stop entering competitions (at least in their primary
> art(s), and often at all).
>
> What are the thoughts of the Laurellate and the rest of the populace on this?
>
> Alaric Styrr
> called TuhTahl

I personally feel that Laurels should enter A&S competitions. There
are many Laurels whose work I've never seen. Some may feel that it's
unfair to those of lesser skill but no less fair than a new fighter
facing a Duke in the first round of a tournament. If people do have
problems with it then there could be seperate divisions of beginner,
intermediate and advanced.

Of course the problem comes from the fact that in fighting, everyone
plays the same game and all are competing in one "category" whereas
the Laurels are usually the judge and frequently the most expert in
thier category. This can cause problems in a competition.

But I would still enjoy seeing more Laurels present their masterworks.

Yours,

Gunthar