ANST - On Laurels (Was Rank and Shortcuts)

Otter Morryn otter at texas.net
Thu Oct 29 03:36:58 PST 1998

Dory Grace wrote:

> Actually, there's no reason that a competitor couldn't judge in a
> competition, as long as they judged categories they weren't competing in.

This will also need to be made clear, that the Laurel entered in the competition
is not judging in their category.  If they are entering outside their expertise,
they should not judge their works or others in the same catagory either, just in
case tongues get to wagging.  An unfortunate disease.

> My thoughts are that we need to finish finalizing the details on the
> Kingdom A&S Champion thing, and hold one Kingdom A&S Championship each
> year, *and* hold one Laurel's Prize Tourney each year. That would give
> *both* competitive types and non-competitive types an annual outlet (as it
> is now, if you want to compete, you have to wait  2 years between Kingdom
> A&S's).

In frustration of waiting for a document, I have started to look at what other
group, kingdoms, etc have on line.  The amount of material is astounding.  I'm
wondering if anyone in the Laurel's Circle are also looking at these sources or
are we starting from scratch?  Atlantia has a multi-chapter work online that has
lots of references, including one to Stephan's Florigium.  It also covers all
aspects of being an A & S Minister and what is expected of you.  We might ask to
borrow from them and then tweek it to fit what Ansteorra needs.

> Some Laurels have expressed the opinion that doing both in a year is too
> much work, but there are other places with fewer Laurels who hold both a
> Kingdom A&S Championship and a LPT each year. Of course, most of the
> Laurels I've talked to about this are in favor of it, but sometimes trying
> to get stuff done on a kingdom-wide level is like trying to pull teeth long
> distance. Maybe if enough of the populace were to speak up and say, "hey,
> we'd like more competitive A&S venues *and* we'd like to see more venues
> where we can actually see what our Laurels do", maybe it would help get
> things moving a bit.

I, for one would be willing to help with organizing an annual schedule that could
be held on the calendar.  I find the fact that both Kingdom A & S, Laurel's Prize
Tourney, and King's College do not occur often enough to really give the chance to
spread knowledge, arts, sciences, and training.  I like the idea Mistress
Aquilanne Grace has suggested and would add that King's College should also be
twice a year.  Policy about whether other events could compete with these may need
to be worked out, but I feel that those who wish to attend will, and it would give
other groups the opportunity to offer something for those not interested.Yours in
service>>> otter, A & S Minister, Bryn Gwlad