ANST - Banishment Commentary

Timothy of Glastonbury timothy_of_glastonbury at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 11:07:41 PST 1998

---ShipMaria at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/30/98 8:20:56 AM Central Standard Time,
wf3 at icok.net
> writes:
>
> <<  It amazes me that the society
>  hasn't been sued long before now concerning these banishments.
>  Unfortunately, we can't just lay around and wait for someone to sue.
>  Anyone else have an opinion?
>   >>

> Actually, I'm not sure anyone could sue the SCA....... um, well,
sue, yes ...
> but not win. I think a private, nonprofit organization can throw
someone out
> because they don't like the way someone blows their nose.
>
> Don't take my word for it, though... I'm nothing like a lawyer, only
someone
> who watches the news.
>
> Elspeth
> Wench of The Ship Maria

This is a sound idea, and within line with how /I/ feel our country
should work, but there are issues here that many disagree with.  A
private organization should be allowed to refuse membership to anyone,
but the Boys Scouts of America have recently had no end of
state-by-state legal trouble due to their refusal to allow homosexual
boys and men be involved with their organization.  They have won
several court battles and lost at least one, in different states, so
this is not a legally clear issue as of late.  The matter that gives
the BSA trouble (and would the SCA as well) is their non-profit tax
status.  The arguement goes that this is government funding of the
organization and as such, the organization must not discriminate
against any group.

I consider the arguement incipide, starting with the very concept that
uncollected taxes are government money.  But that is not a discussion
for this group.

This may not be /directly/ applicable because banishment is done to a
person, not class of people due to some common characteristic (race,
religion, sexual preference, etc).

Ld. Timothy of Glastonbury
mka Tim Rayburn
Part-Time Political Science Student focusing on Civil Liberties. :)