ANST - Draft of Document for Banishment Commentary

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sat Oct 31 10:09:34 PST 1998

Leslie Miller (Miller at pp.okstate.edu) said something that sounded like:
> As Ansteorra's newest representative to the Grand Council,
> I am passing along the following possible changes to banishment
> procedures.

Good Luck.

> If you want to send replies to me, I will forward them to the GC list
> if you so specify.

If they are appropriate please do. What I bring up may have already been
covered and not need to be rehashed.

> 3) Absolute Banishment (level 3) would be removed as a "medieval" sanction
> that may be imposed by royalty without any prior requirements for due process.

Hell, I didn't realize Level 3 could be done below the corporate level.
This seems reasonable!

> 4) Offenses against contemporary civil or criminal law that threaten the
> Society should be dealt with through the contemporary legal system.

Uhh. What types of offenses are these? Who defines what is a threat to
the Society?

What if someone has already served their time, but "people" feel that the
offense is of a nature that could threaten the Society? (ie. embezzlement,
rape, child abuse, etc)

> 5) More serious Society sanctions could only be imposed according to due
> process. This would include judgment by an impartial panel, the opportunity to
> be informed of the evidence and charges, and to present evidence and testimony
> in one's own defense. Sanctions should be proportionate and appropriate to the
> offense.

Who picks this "impartial" grievance panel? Is this a Society/Corporate
wide panel or a Kingdom level panel? From reading further, it appears to
be at a Kingdom level, so it may not be any more "impartial" than the
decision of one individual depending on who can pick the panel.

As a whole, the changes sounds good. I'm just kinda concerned about some
areas left unclear.

Ciao,