ANST - Running a tavern

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Sep 1 16:20:17 PDT 1998

James D. Logan/Jane Sitton-Logan said something that sounded like:
> If I recall and you wish to remain strictly legal you need to apply for
> a temporary beer license for the site if in a wet area. that would be
> with the state in questions alcohol control board.

This is correct. I posted more information to the BVC list, which I'll
include here.

  There is something called "TEMPORARY AND SPECIAL WINE AND BEER
  RETAILER'S PERMITS". This is within the Texas Alcoholic beverages code
  Title 3, Subtitle A, Chapter 27.

  There are 2 kinds here that grab my attention.

  The first is a standard "Temporary Permit" which allows the selling for
  consumption on premise of wine, beer, and malt liquors. It may be
  issued for no more thn 4 days and to get it you have to be a holder of
  a wine/beer permit, mixed beverage permit, or *a nonprofit historic
  preservation organization that has been in existance for at least
  30 years*. This permit is to be used at picnics, celebrations or
  similar events.

  The second is a 3 day Wine and Beer permit. This is the same except it
  can be issued to nonprofit charitable, civic or religious
  organizations for picnic, celebrations, etc.

  Both permits cost $30. Just btw, the Wine/Beer permit costs $175 per
  year. The mixed beverage permit is $3000 the first year and going down
  to $750 over time.

  Now the 2 questions are:

  1) Would the SCA allow this permit to be issued in it's name if no SCA
     funds are used? (I doubt it due to insurance and liability, but one
     never knows if they don't ask.)

  2) If not, can an *individual* get a permit to use at such events
     without the SCA's permission? Only the TABC can answer this
     question.

  Just something to think about.

  NOTE: These do not include selling what you make, which requires a
  brewer's or winery permit which are $1500 and $75 respectively. As
  well as approriate Taxes for each sell.

  Btw, I am not a lawyer and don't know anything. Contact the TABC for
  real information.

  I should have real information at Laurels' Prize Tourney since I will
  have heard from the TABC and ABLE by then.

Unfortunately I do not currently have information regarding this in Oklahoma,
but hopefully will for LPT since I have already contacted ABLE regarding
it.

Ciao,