ANST - Rapier to a good home

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Sun Sep 6 09:00:08 PDT 1998

Are you and your friends going to The Academy of the Courtier
(Ansteorra, Temple, TX, November 13-15)? I will be awarding a
beautiful swept hilt rapier, complete with metal-tipped leather
sheath to the most deserving fighter at that event. Interested? Here
are the rules:

1. You must be present at that event to win.

2. You must have your current fighter authorization card with you
to win. It must show that you are an authorized rapier fighter.
(Remember, you still have 2 months to get authorized or re-
authorized).

3. If you know of someone who you think deserves this fine, steel
bladed weapon, please write a short note telling me why.

 a. Keep it under one page.

 b. I would prefer to have these before the event, but I will accept
them at the gate. My cadets and I will work the gate from 8:00pm
to 10:00pm on Friday night, and that will be your last chance to
give me a note.

 c. I don't want any sob stories. I want stories of wonderful people,
great friendships, great deads, exemplary behavior, amazing feats
on and off the field, fantastic personas and persona play, success
in the face of great odds.

 d. I will accept a paper you have written about yourself, though I
would prefer something about someone you know.

 e. Papers written in persona are preferred, but not necessary.

 f. Many of these entries will be read aloud, so don't include stuff
that cannot go public.

4. Some other factors that will count:

 a. Those who do not already own a rapier will be preferred. You
might mention this in your note.

 b. The person's behavior, at this event and in general.

 c. If more than one person writes to me to recommend the same
person, that will be a big plus.

5. There will also be a prize for the best note.

 a. You do not have to be a rapier fighter to win that prize.

 b. We have not figured out exactly what that prize will be yet, but
it will be nice. Some possibilities include:

  1. strands of real pearls, gold, and sliver (use them for costuming,
or string them into necklaces);

  2. a collection of several books such as "The Book of the
Courtier", "Blaeu's Grand Atlas (16th c.)" and an assortment of
period fencing manuals;

  3. a fine cavalier hat with ostrich plumes;

  4. several yards of first quality linen.

 c. If we have multiple prizes, we may pick multiple winners.

6. Who are the judges? Me and...some other folks. we will be
keeping our eyes open, looking for worthy deads. You will not know
who all of us are.

If you have always felt that actions off the field deserved as much
recognition as those on the field, here is your chance make your
voice heard. Send your notes (or comments and questions) to me by
e-mail to jtc at io.com or by post to:

J. Crouchet
710 Shade Tree Dr.
Austin, TX 78748