ANST - Hunting tips for Combat Archers

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Sep 4 12:34:17 PDT 1998

On 4 Sep 98, at 10:56, DAFPIG at aol.com wrote:

>        A. Heavy Fighters:  The best bait for these massive animals
> is the use of decoys.  They cannot seem to resist the clashing and
> banging around of thier own kind.  When they see other fighters
> fighting, they tend to rush headlong to join them.  If you don't
> have access to such decoys, try spreading some bright shiny objects
> around such as stainless steel gaunlets or a shiny helm, using long
> peices as ratten is also effective. Heavy fighters are drawn to
> such things as these.

ahhh, but a skilled fighter will stop to think, what is hanging around that ate
the atsty bits that were previously *inside* all those bright and shiny bits ...
after all, the jabberwocky start moving around once the weather cools

>        B. Light fighters: Oh, the rare and elusive light fighter,
> We usually don't hunt these graceful creatures because of thier
> rarity.

true, but they do look so fetching stuffed and made into hatracks / umbrella
stands ...

> 2.  Choosing your hunting Terrain: have a working knowledge of the terrain
> you will be
>      hunting in.
>
>         A. Open field:
>        B. Bridges:

but you forget, prey always comes back to their grazing / drinking grounds
... find the local tavern and setup a blind outside and wait for them to come
to you.  granted, it's not as much fun as stalking the prey, but it's a sure
way to get your tag limit.  alternately, the local armoury is a good place to
wait.

> 3. Types of archery equimpent: What tips to use, and when.
>
> ...  Remember, Heavy fighters are encased in an armor-like skin.
> The thickness of this pelt varies with each individual.

but there are always a multitude of spots where the pelt is thin or non-
existant .. makes the hunt more difficult, but a good exercise in skill and
targeting.   a most excellent shot is provoking them to charge, wait for the
arm to come up , and take them in the arm-pit (though if hunting late in the
day, don't expect to be able to use that arrow again).

> ...  Often these massive animals are unable to feel that they are
> dying, stuck on the end of a wonderful shot.

comes from taking repeated blows to the head, slows down the synapse
functions

> ... It is during these times, One should verbally remind them of
> this fact. Often a verbal reminder will do the job.

if not, carry a club and whack them up thh side of the head a few times
(they actually deem to enjoy this ... go figure).  alternately, *run away* and
make them chase you until they expire from exhaustion

> 4. Safety tips:  when to run like heck.

basic tactic to master ... *running away*, will always give you advantage

>        A.  A combat archer must ALWAYS be on thier toes and aware
> of what is going on.  For some reason, most of the massive heavy
> prey hate archers on site and will go to extreme measures to kill
> us.

tactical hint, keep a few of these beasts around and use them as screening
(they do so love to sacrifice themselves on each other ... )  never a bad
idea to take your hunting dogs with you ... especiall if war-trained

> ... Upon sighting archery equipment, Heavy fighters tend to foam
> and fleck at the mouth, in a desperate attempt to stop us.  So be
> aware.

to seriously confuse them, adopt the hide of a previous foe, though this can
seriously interfere with the basic tactic of *running away*.  this is helped
along by having a stick that much longer than theirs - they get confused
when poked from afar or close range

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves