ANST - Running a tavern

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Sat Sep 5 11:25:29 PDT 1998

On 1 Sep 98,, Pug Bainter wrote:

>   NOTE: These do not include selling what you make, which requires a
>   brewer's or winery permit which are $1500 and $75 respectively. As
>   well as approriate Taxes for each sell.

This is very much a legal mess and goes way beyond even the
permits for selling.  It includes regulations about your production
facilities (no "I made it in the basement" stuff), federal tax code, on-
site inspections and a bunch of other legal stuff that makes it way
out of range for anyone who does not intend to set up a serious
business.

Lets just say that even our current practice concerning free
homebrew is extremely questionable and we have not been hassled
about it mainly because we have never had a problem. Low profile
and all that.

If you must have more info, look up the laws on transporting
homebrew and charging fees for events where alcohol is given
away.

Dore