ANST - The Challenge

Scott Fridenberg scottf at okom.net
Tue Sep 8 00:37:57 PDT 1998

This is A new poem I wrote this weekend.  It is based on the account of the
final battle at Pennsic XXVII that was posted by Arden MacIlhatton.  It may
be reprinted in any SCA newsletter.  I request a copy of any publication in
which it appears.  Please E-Mail me for my address.  I would like to hear
from anyone who took part in that final battle and what they think of the
poem.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep
Bard of Elfsea

                  The Challenge

"We are the combined forces of the Kingdom of Ansteorra and the Mountain
Confederation. We
came here to fight a battle, and a battle we shall have.  We will leave this
field only in Victory
or in Death.  Gentlemen, assemble your army!"

It was Pennsic Twenty Seven the last battle of the war.
The Eastern army had left the field.  The East would fight no more.
The Mountain Confederation had twenty four fighters there.
With seven of Ansteorra and three from Atlantia fair.
To watch their allies quit the field filled them with dismay.
They'd not come here quit the battle. They ment to fight that day.
The Thirty Four were in agreement, they would not quit they would not yield.
They would not let the Middle kingdom stand unchallenged on the field.
The Midrealm army spanned the field, this mighty host they ment to fight.
These thirty four brave fighting heros who would stand against the
Midrealm's might.
They donned their armor, marched down the hill unto the army there below.
Thorvaaldr was their commander and gave their challenge to the foe.

"We are the combined forces of the Kingdom of Ansteorra and the Mountain
Confederation. We
came here to fight a battle, and a battle we shall have.  We will leave this
field only in Victory
or in Death.  Gentlemen, assemble your army!"

A cheer rose from the Midrealm army and soon became a mighty roar.
They cheered and hugged and shook the hands of the valiant Thirty Four.
Thus cheered and proud the little War-Band marched back up their hill again.
And waited for the marshall's signal for the battle to begin.
As anger brings forth anger and fire breeds more flame,
So honor, valor and courage shown, bring forth as fruit more of the same.
The Midrealm crown released their allies to go and join the Thirty Four.
And equalize the forces for the final battle of the war.
First one, then two, then four, then more came to fight at their side.
Such honor is too seldom seen, spirits soared and grown men cried.
Both sides now of equal strength waited for the signal gun.
The final battle soon would start though both sides had already won.
The battle it was filled with glory, honor, skill and courtisy.
All there fought with courage and the high ideals of chivalry.
Each warrior was a winner from the greatest to the least.
Ansteorra won the war-point, then gave it to the East.
Chivalry and courtisy, honor, generosity.  The high ideals we all fight for.
Shone in the final battle of the twenty seventh Pennsic war.
So long as honor shall endure, thus long let this tale be told.
Of the Midrealm and the Thirty Four and the challenge that they gave so
bold.