ANST --..Historical references to beans...

peerage1 peerage1 at flash.net
Tue Sep 8 14:40:05 PDT 1998

> At any rate, I would not serve what we in the U.S. call "green beans" at an
> "authentic" Medieval feast.  They would be Renaissance at best.
>
> Bear

Okay Bear, it's renaissence...but heres what you requested...Reference
for your beans: fourteenth century.

154. D'autres menuz potaiges...: Other Lesser Pottages, such as stewed
chard, cabbage, turnip greens, leeks, veal in Yellow Sauce, and plain
shallot pottage, peas, frenched beans, mashed beans, sieved beans or
beans in their shell,  pork offal, brewet of pork tripe -- women are
experts with these and anyone knows how to do them; as for tripe, which
I have not put in my recipe book, it is common knowledge how it is to be
eaten.

                           The Viandier of Taillevent

This book is in Print, as well as the two 15th century other cook books
which have also been out of print for awhile and are back in-although I
haven't gotten my hands on those, due to they are reprints of 18th
century ones of the manscripts.

Here's the site: it's called serious books for serious cooks :), just
for the fun of corruption.

http://www.foodbooks.com/welcome.htm

The Viandier of Taillevent: An Edition of all Extant Manuscripts. Edited
by Terence Scully. The Viandier is the most important early recipe
collection of medieval France. Written in the fourteenth
century by Guillaume Tirel (alias Taillevent), the chief cook of King
Charles V of France, it is the starting point of many culinary
traditions and practices that remain at the base of modern French haute
cuisine. This volume is the first to present all four extant manuscripts
of the Viandier, arranged in parallel for easy comparison. The texts of
the 220 recipes are in the original French, but a complete English
translation is  provided. University of Ottawa Press. 330 pp. ©1988
$35.00 Hardcover.

Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books. Edited by Thomas Austin. The
ancient cookeries edited in this volume have been copied from Harleian
MSS, 297 and 4016, in the British Museum. The first MS. is divided into
three parts, the first, headed Kalendare de Potages dyuers, containing
153 recipes; the second part, Kalendare de Leche Metys, has 64 recipes,
and the third Part, Dyuerse bake metis, 41 recipes. Published for The
Early English Text Society by the Oxford University Press. 151
pages. Unaltered reprint of the 1888 edition in 1996. $45.00 Hardcover.
(Now Available - copies arrived from England on July 3rd)

Rayah