ANST - In defense of snooty authenticists

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Sep 9 13:24:26 PDT 1998

Okay, I'm not going to drag Othar into this but there are a couple of
statements I feel should be addressed.

> personally i'm at a loss why the menu is such an issue.  so it offends the
> sensibilities of a vocal minority, they're always going find something to
> offended by.

I wasn't offended by the menu. But I did want to point out to people that it
could have been prepared with period foods and bring an awareness of a glaring
inconsistancy that people haven't really taken notice of.

> if i had to guess, i
> would bet that you sell out completely and have people on the waiting list,
> and after you will have a hall full of very satisfied customers..

Very probably. The feast sounds very good and I've heard from years past that
it is prepared wonderfully.

> so it's different than what has become the (often inedible) norm, so much
> the better.

That's the problem, properly prepared Medieval and Rennaissance dishes are not
"the norm". "The Norm" is usually some sort of modern food and maybe fancied
up to make people think it's "Medieval". "Peri-oid" is what we call it.

> someone else brought up a
> importnat concept, we have not been raised in medieval europe, we have
> been raised in modern america and what was high-culinary to them is often
> inedible glop to us ... cultural norms are very important where food is
> concerned  (as WIC learned a few years back ... )

It is rare that common period dishes would be considered "glop" to the modern
palate. Although some of the spicing is different the food is just as appetizing
to the modern tastes as to the Medieval ones.

> if this "menu" is a traditoion you are proud of, works for you, and your
> populace, then by all means keep it up

I agree.

> against those that delight in
> pointing out every non-PC (period correct) aspect in this game.  that may
> be their reason for playing, but it is not necessarily everyone elses.

My reason for playing has nothing to do with pointing out the mistakes or
misinformation that others have. I like to share my passion for learning new
things to make the game a little more real but most of us usually do this by
helping someone share our passion instead of putting them down. Now I will admit
that I do get some pleasure out of correcting an incorrect assumption or attitude
about cookery or fighting, which are the only two areas I feel any authority
to an educated opinion on.

> the only faction that should have *any* say in the matter are those taking
> the time and energy to put it together and the populace that *chooses* to
> attend ... if they come, and they eat, and they enjoy themselves (the main
> reason for expending the energy), then your production is a sucess and
> should be done again until they decide they want something else.

If people have a good time at your event then the event was a success. Now I could
host an SCA event where the main competitions were in volleyball and a Rocky
Horror Picture Show trivia contest, the feast was catered by Kentucky Fried Chicken
and music was from my vast collection of '70s Pop bands. I'm sure everyone
would have a terrific time and be fed well. But is it what we're doing? People
will come and eat the feast and be well fed but they would eat feast even if
it was "Medieval glop". It's just easier that way.

> if it offends a few and they deside to stay home becuase it's not up to their
> stellar standards, that's their choice, and really no loss to the whole of the
> event ...

I have never refused to attend an event because it wasn't serving period food.
In fact, if I had that attitude I would hardly ever go to an event. And how is
trying to create a more period atmosphere spoiling people's fun? With the growth
in Ansteorra of more period armor, changes in costuming, more hand painted and
designed scrolls, live period music, tournament companies, "High Personna" events,
and Laurel's Prize Tournaments why is it that when we try to educate (not scold)
people that period food is not only edible but actually tasty we are considered
"Highbrow Sourpusses"?

When His Majesty Barn gives His clarion call of "Ice Cream!!!" you can be assured
that not Gunnora, Meadhbh, Clarissa, Bear or I will stand in the corner and sniff
distastefully. Instead we grab the bowls and enjoy it also.

if i was still in Stargate, i would probably get it together and show
> up (i prefer "low culture" events over "high medieval" ... less fun in the later
> ... and *always* enjoy a good cut of meat)

Have you eaten any of my feasts? Did you attend Candlemas last year? Or the year
before that? Did you attend Steppes 12th Night this year? If you found any of these
meals as "brown glop" please let us know so we can change the recipe. If you come
to Elfsea Defender please drop by Baron Robin's vigil site and try some researched
Elizabethan dishes. As I have been trying to make clear I would like for people
to change their attitudes about period dishes by expiriencing them and not rely
on generalities.

And a period feast is no more difficult to prepare than a non-period feast.

> 'wolf

In Service,

Gunthar