ANST - In defense of snooty authenticists

eric mauer eric.mauer-next at attws.com
Wed Sep 9 15:17:45 PDT 1998

Gunther writes:

> [...]
prepared with period foods and bring an awareness of a glaring
inconsistancy that people haven't really taken notice of.<<<

Which you did, quite politely. I found Gunnorra's response much less
polite, and all too typical of those who tend toward the "period
maven" side of things.  (It's not typical of her style, so I'm not
criticizing her, just the attitude she expressed)

>>>That's the problem, properly prepared Medieval and Rennaissance
dishes are not "the norm". "The Norm" is usually some sort of modern
food and maybe fancied up to make people think it's "Medieval".
"Peri-oid" is what we call it.<<<<

I disagree. "The norm" (although it's changing) is either a)
"peri-oid" as you describe it OR b) "period" and bloody inedible
I'm blessed with Meadbth and Clarissa locally, and Gunther and some
others throughout the kingdom are changing that, but I'd say that
50% plus of the "period" feasts I've had in my 17 years in the SCA
were marginally edible (at best), and I'm far from a picky eater.
Period and edible is the goal, but "peri-iod" and edible beats
well researched, documented, and bad anyday.

>>><snip> most of us usually do this by helping someone share our passion
instead of putting them down.<<<

Again, I must disagree. All too often those who have earned their
peerages seem to feel it gives them the right to give unsolicited
and abusive criticism. I have seen and heard nothing but good
teaching from you on the field, and Mistress Gunnora is a well of
information and good advice which she dispenses freely, but like
good period cooks, you are all too rare. I've seen Knights abusing
new fighters, I've seen Laurels reduce newbies to tears, and I've
seen all too many good people driven away from the path of
authenticity , or out of the society entirely by the actions of
people who should be their best resource. I'll give you "some", but
not "most".

actually tasty <<<

And that's the key. I'll take scolding from my knight (that's, after
all, part of what I signed on for) or my household (they deal with
my crap, they've earned the right), but just the belt, or the laurel
wreath, or the crown, doesn't carry that same privilage. It carries
the duty to teach, not the right to abuse.

Alaric Styrr
called TuhTahl of the Moritu