ANST - Steaks, Beans, and Other Questionable Foods

barbara at mail.topher.net barbara at mail.topher.net
Wed Sep 9 10:43:05 PDT 1998

I have read most, but not all, of the postings about this feast and
the one thing that I find most troublesome (I did not read Gunnora's
post, so if it was as offensive as some have indicated I guess it
would top my list. No matter what instigation curtesy should never be
left behind) is the statement "So it isn't period, who cares" (I am
probably not getting the exact words, but that is the meaning of
them).

We are all members of a historical recreation society.  The official
chant is that we support and promote the study and recreation of the
times and culture of the Middle Ages and Early Renaissance.

If you don't care if the items that you surround yourself with are
period, than why are you here?  There are plenty of places that you
can go to dress in funny cloths and pretend that you are a knight in
shinning armor; places were no one will care if you carry around a
Coke can and wear Nikes.  Why, if you don't care have you chosen to
play this game in particular?

I think the answer is because of the brief moments of magic that we
manage from time to time, when you can close your eyes and feel "I'm
there".

The reason that we manage that magic and other groups do not is
because we have the "authenticity police" lurking in the corners
helping to keep us focused, so we can all pretend together.

The worst feast that I have ever had in the 12 years that I have been
in the SCA was a totally modern one.  The best feasts that I have had
have been ones that were prepared by good cooks who did good pre-work
to ensure that every dish was presented as was intended, period or
modern.

I have no problem with the feast that is being done at Staregate
because it has not been presented as being period.  I have no
quarrel with Othar, I think that he is a great guy and to do any
feast for 200 at a primitive site is an admirable service.

However, I do and will always have a problem with people who cast a
whole art form into one bucket because they saw a bad example.  You
call period food "brown glop" as if there was only one recipe from
the entire 1000 years that we cover.  I have seen many scrolls,
dresses, pieces of armor, carvings etc...that would not be called
beautiful by anyone's standards, but no one then says we should not
pursue those things because it is all crap.  That is what you do when
you say "I would rather have a good meal than a period feast".
Through encouraging people to explore period cooking we will end up
with the best of both worlds, food that was indeed eaten in the
Middle Ages and quite tasty too.

Alys D.