ANST - Steaks, Beans, and Other Questionable Foods

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu Sep 10 06:02:47 PDT 1998

Bob Dewart wrote:

> Gilli writes :
>
> My  point is not everyway things could have been done was written down for
> history to take a look at.  If you can think of a way to do it with basicaly
> period materials, then someone probably did it that way.

Maybe, but probably not.  Let's look at how meat is cut today compared with the
middle ages.  Modern butchers have band saws available which makes cutting
steaks and smaller cuts very easy.  Back then, it was difficult to do at best.
It is much easier to disjoint an animal than to cut through the bones into 1
1/2-2 inch slabs of meat.  And since it would be difficult, at best, to cook
this cut of meat for 500 plus guests.
Remember, you couldn't go to a butcher back then and buy a 'slab o bovine'.

> If I remember back, the pharse was "to recreate the Middleages as they
> should have been not necessarily the way they were".  However, that was 23
> years ago and memory is the second thing to go.

That is very true (Stargate even had T-shirts made with that statement on it),
BUT, I believe that comment was in reference to :  No plague, No religious
intolerance, No war where people really get hurt, maimed and killed. And, we use
modern transportation to get to events.  I think the SCA was set up for us to
enjoy the pagentry, sport, arts and sciences, and history of the middle ages
without the 'negatives'.

Having been in the SCA a long time, these debates will go on and on. Those
striving for historical accuracy will always debate with those that don't think
it is a priority? Is either group better than the other? NO! Just have a
different set of priorities that clash from time to time to spark dynamic
debates.  And most of us fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

In service,
Meadhbh
(who gets talkative too early in the morning these days)