ANST --..Historical references to beans...

Thu Sep 10 06:46:43 PDT 1998

> Actually, I think originally there were a number of varieties of
> fava/broad
> beans, most of them now lost.  I simply intended to give a first hand
> description of the ones I have.  If you have any information on time to
> maturity, etc. I'd be delighted to hear it, I have only the vaguest of
> information on growing these.  So far, according to the LE MESNAGIER DE
> PARIS
> (late 14th century) they are planted about the same time as peas.  From an
> illumination, they appear to be an upright plant rather than a vine.  And
> that's about all I know for certain.
>
> Raisya Khorivovna

You are correct, the plant is stiff-stemmed and erect.  It also appears
there are a number of moden varieties, but no real information about
medieval varieties.

If you are interested in growing favas, I would start with these web sites:

http://hammock.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/mv/mv01700.pdf      (please note this
is a pdf document which requires the Acrobat reader)

http://www.efn.org/~rossr/cont.html

If you are interested in cooking favas, I'd start with Stefan's Florilegium:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/beans-msg.html

Hope these references will help.

Bear