ANST - Vague Laws

Cameron Lewis camlewis at swbell.net
Mon Sep 14 16:40:40 PDT 1998

I was reading the sumptuary laws of the kingdom of Ansteorra on
different types of regalia on coronets.  On the baronial coronets it
says:

 1.Flat-topped coronets. They may have from 6 to 12 spherical
projections of no more than 1/2 inch diameter extending from the top of
their coronet.
          (It is recommended that Baronial coronets be made clearly
wider than fillets) Or
        2.Engrailed coronets. They may have no more than six "points" or
projections, which may be surmounted by spherical projections of no more
than 1/2
          inch diameter, and must have a smoothly concave outline
between each "point", so as to clearly distinguish them from County
coronets.

In part 2. what does surmounted mean?

Websters online dictionary says:

a. 1. (Arch) Having its vertical height greater than half the
span;--said of an arch.

and

2.(Her)Partly covered by another charge;--said of an ordinary or another
bearing.

I am confused, does anyone else have a better definition of "surmount"
or can anyone tell me what it means.  I was told by a coronet making
Laurel that our kingdom's sumptuary laws allow "pearls" below the
points.  I am asking before I work on designs if anyone knows...not if
anyone has an opinion on the law.

thank you,
Alrek