ANST - Re: ansteorra V1 #1541

Donal & Sosha catsden at texas.net
Wed Sep 16 22:05:52 PDT 1998

Alrek wrote:
> I am confused, does anyone else have a better definition of "surmount"
> or can anyone tell me what it means.
Webster's II New Riverside University dictionary has this (among other
things) to say about "surmount":
"...3b. To be above or on top of..."
That is the definition intended.

>I was told by a coronet making
> Laurel that our kingdom's sumptuary laws allow "pearls" below the
> points.
Depends on what you mean by "pearls". There is not any restriction on
gems or other items mounted to the "face" of a coronet (unless you
count good taste and common sense), other than those involving
baronial or kingdom insignia. Most of the restrictions involve the
upper edge or "profile", and are intended to allow the wearer to
display his/her rank in an easily recognizable fashion, and avoid
confusion with those of lesser rank.

> Alrek

Donal