ANST - Stefan's files for October

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Sep 21 09:50:22 PDT 1998

Greetings,

Here is my article for October.

I am always interested in more articles. If anyone has written an article that
they think might be of interest to others in the Known World, please send a
copy to me for possible inclusion in my Florilegium. The copyright remains
with the author and I will update or remove it upon the author's request.

If any editors would like to be included in my list of folks who get this
article on the fifth of each month, please send me email and give me your
name, email address, group and newsletter name. Also, please take a look
through the Florilegium as there are a number of short articles that make
good additions to newsletters. If you reprint this article or other info. from
the Florilegium, I would appreciate notification. While a copy of the publication
is not required, it is appreciated.

Thanks.
  Stefan

--------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past eight years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of
useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted
to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others,
I have placed this information in a series of files I call Stefan’s Florilegium.

Florilegium - (literally, "a gathering of flowers").  In medieval times,
Florilegia were collections of choice tidbits (from Ovid, Aristotle, various
popes, church scholars, etc.) arranged topically. Typically, a florilegium is
huge, encyclopedic, and contains only choice selections from particular works.

Those of you who have World-Wide-Web (WWW) access can get these files at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in the Important Stuff section
of the website. This filelist or any of my files is also available from me
by email in either Word 6.0 or text formats.

Please be aware that often there is a delay between my announcement of
a new file and it’s becoming available at the website.

    Ld. Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at texas.net
    Ansteorra                             RSVE60 at email.sps.mot.com

Here are the new files for this month:

12th-nite-fst-art    Ansteorran 12th night feast AS 32.
cook-ovr-fire-msg    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.
Eald-hist-msg        Histories of the Kingdom of Ealdormere.
fruit-pears-msg      Period pears and pear recipes.
ham-msg              Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
hunting-msg          Medieval hunting.
icons-art            "Eiksua (Icons)" by Hrolf Herljolfssen.
meadery-list-msg     Lists and reviews of commercial meaderies.
organ-meats-msg      Period cooking of organ meats. Recipes.
pig-to-sausag-art    From pig to sausage by Mordonna Dubois.
pizza-msg            Period pizza and similar items.
Seakeeping-p1-art    "Seakeeping", by Dom. Pedro de Alcazar.
                         English naval power, 1450-1480. (1 of 2)
Seakeeping-p2-art    "Seakeeping" (part 2 of 2)
wood-finishes-msg    Period and SCA wood finishes. Stains.

Here are some of the files that have had substantial additions this past month:

bread-msg            Medieval breads and grains.
candy-msg            Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
coopering-msg        Making and maintaining barrels and kegs.
embroidery-msg       Period and SCA embroidery.
fd-Jewish-msg        Jewish medieval food. Sources.
fish-msg             Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
food-sources-msg     Modern sources for unusual medieval meats and other foods.
Germany-msg          Medieval points of interest in Germany.
glasswork-msg        Stained glass, glass etching. glassblowing.
hair-msg             Period and SCA hairstyling and care.
holidays-msg         Halloween, Samhain, other Medieval holidays.
lea-tanning-msg      How to tan leather. Types of tanning.
Middle-hist-msg      Histories of the Middle Kingdom.
movies-msg           Reviews of medieval and ren. movies.
Norse-msg            Norse culture. Viking raids.
occupations-msg      Lists of medieval occupations.
pasta-msg            Period pasta. Period referances. Recipes.
placenames-msg       Origins and meanings of SCA placenames.
rabbit-dishes-msg    Period rabbit and hare recipes.
tattoos-msg          Period tatoos and hand and body decoration.
taverns-msg          SCA and period taverns.
utensils-msg         Utensils, plates, trenchers, cast iron pots.
---
Copyright 1998, Mark S. Harris, 5628 Wagon Train Rd. Austin TX  78749.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformating is allowed.

<end>