ANST - Known World Laurels' List

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Sep 22 06:46:58 PDT 1998

Good cousins of the Laurel, I wanted to take a moment to let you know about
a new mailing list that has just been established with the assistance of
Ansteorra's most excellent HL Pug: this is SCA-LAURELS.

The SCA Laurels' List has been established as a discussion forum by and for
the Companions to the Order of the Laurel in the Known World.  The list is
moderated by Mistress Gunnora Hallakarva (gunnora at bga.com) of Ansteorra,
who monitors subscription and content.

The SCA Laurels' List is meant to serve as a forum for the discussion of
any topic by the Laurellate *except* discussion of candidates to the
Circle.  The reasoning for the decision to avoid discussion of Laurel
candidates is due to possible problems with security and
"over-the-shoulder" unauthorized access.

Suggested topics for discussion on the SCA Laurels' List include:
interkingdom anthropology involving the Laurellate and the arts, furthering
interkingdom communication between the various Laurel Circles, arts and
sciences competitions, judging issues, up-and-coming apprentices or others
whose talents should be noticed by the Laurels, personal arts and sciences
issues, questions as to research directions and techniques, questions as to
artistic techniques, etc.

Topics should remain relevant to an SCA readership, and particularly a
readership interested in the arts and sciences as well as Kingdom and
Society issues.  This means that discussion of 20th century things like
sewing machines is  on-topic, while Star Trek episodes are not.

SUBSCRIBING:  There are several ways to subscribe to either SCA-LAURELS or
SCA-LAURELS-DIGEST.

The easiest way to subscribe is to go to
http://lists.ansteorra.org/lists.html and sign up using the automated
process.  The SCA-LAURELS selection is found under "Lists maintained within
Ansteorra."

Of course, if you wish, you may always subscribe directly, by sending in a
message to Majordomo at Ansteorra.ORG with the following body message:

subscribe SCA-LAURELS your_email at address.com

OR

subscribe SCA-LAURELS-DIGEST your_email at address.com

Or of course, you may save yourself a step by simply sending a note to me (
mailto:gunnora at bga.com ) including the information described in the next
two paragraphs.

I have set this list up to be restricted to Laurels, which means that every
subscription will have to manually approved.  When you get the message back
from Majordomo informing you of this, please email me a short note (
mailto:gunnora at bga.com ) with the following information:

Your SCA Name
Your rank (mostly I care about the "OL" but if you want to send your full
"Alphabet Soup" feel free)
Your Kingdom and Local Group Names
Mundane Name
Physical Mailing Address

Since I have no way of knowing who is and who isn't a Laurel outside of my
own kingdom, I will post a welcome message when a new member joins - I
trust that the membership of the list will never have to tell me that a new
subscriber is not in fact a Laurel, but please do look at names as they are
added.  From time to time I will compile a listing of all of the
subscribers and post it to the list for the convenience of the list
membership and for membership eligibility review.

RULES OF THE LIST:
I maintain a similar list for the Ansteorran Laurels, and I have never had
to do much moderating.  I hope that this will also be true of the larger
SCA-LAURELS list.  However, it is good to have guidelines regardless, so
here they are.

The SCA Laurels' List is meant to be a peaceful and productive forum.
Flaming, name-calling, and gratuitous nastiness should be saved for private
e-mail *only* (and the Moderate suggests strongly that you hold any such
email for 24 hours before sending it even then).  The Moderator sincerely
hopes never to have to moderate, but in the unhappy event it becomes
necessary, the Moderator will warn those who are breaking the peace to tone
down their posts.  If this has no effect, an
offender may be suspended for a three day "simmering down" period.  If a
person has been suspended twice, thereafter their posts will be reviewed by
the Moderator before being released to the general List.  If the membership
of the List agrees and finds it necessary, modifications may be made to the
SCA Laurels' List guidelines.

SPAM is absolutely forbidden, including "chain letter" emails, "lucky"
ASCII designs, and other large and/or obnoxious posts: sending these types
of posts can result in a three day suspension with no warning beyond this
message.  Advertising is only permitted if it is both SCA and arts related,
for instance an advertisement for woven trim would be appropriate, while
trying to sell life insurance is not.

I look forward to many interesting discussions in this Virtual Circle.

Welcome, Cousins, to the SCA Laurels' List!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)