ANST - Invitation

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 22 08:58:49 PDT 1998

>From Hojo Tomonaga,

To all who enjoy the grace and elegance of the combat archer's art, and
those who just like shafting people:

Bryn Gwlad's Baronial Faire is the weekend of October 2-4.  At this
event there will be an Inter-Kingdom Combat Archery Competition (IKCAC)
open to all.  Whether you are an experienced war archer or a complete
novice, whether you wish to post a score, practice for war, or just
plain see what it's like, everyone is welcome to shoot.

I want people to get interested in combat shooting, so I am offering
incentive.  There is a prize for the high score in the IKCAC at this
event; the winner gets to choose between a dozen arrows made to his (or
her) specifications, or a polished hardwood display rack that holds two
dozen arrows.  (For those who may be thinking of the arrows:  sorry, but
I can't do period arrowheads.  Maybe next year.)

The range will open at 8:00 AM on Saturday and Sunday, and will close at
sundown, when we run out of shooters, or when we have to clear the site,
whichever comes first.  If you want to post an official score, remember
you can shoot for score once each day.  So if you are really dedicated
and looking for a chance to go for SCA high score this year, or just
want to better your own record, you have more chances in October.

If you would like to try this type of shooting but lack the equipment,
loaner gear will be available.  Please note that the IKCAC rules do NOT
require shooters to wear heavy fighting protective gear.  So if you're
new to this and you'd like to try it, no you don't have to wear
pauldrons and gorgets and all that.  Knee pads are strongly recommended.

I hope to see you on site.

    Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra