ANST - Born on the List Field - another answer

Jerry Dreifuerst morganson at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:55:54 PDT 1998

   Greetings Good and Gentle Lady Madonna Lucia Ilaria Malatesta, and
the rest of our fair kingdom from Lord Othar Morganson.

   I read the Ansteorran List by digest and you may have already
received an answer to your query, however I would offer an explanation
to the song posted by Galiwyn Varianas, assitant Chiurgeon, House of
Illuminati, Barony Of NorthKeep, "Bored on the List Field".

   It is not the song you are looking for!  It is a filk written and
performed by my self and my squire brother Andrew du St. Michel, aka
Scarhart.  It is based on Master Ivar Battleskald's wonderfully
inspiring song "Born On the List Field."  One reason that this
particular song (the original)is hard to find in print is because so few
copies exist.

   The story of this song has become a part of Ansteorran history, and
part of the story, as its still taught today, is that the bard who
created this song would have wanted it to have been taught by word of
mouth from one singer to another.  By putting a song in writing the
distribution of it is uncontrolled, an example is the song posted, which
does not carry credits to either my squire brother or myself.  Another
aspect of the original song is the telling of its origin and the reason
it was created, all part of learning the song.

   A short story:

   Many years ago, at a Pennsic War far away, a young squire, who had
learned "Born On the List Field" from his Knight (then HRM Ansteorra),
met some wonderful friends from the Midrealm.  His friends enjoyed the
song and wanted to learn it.  Alas, the time together at the war was
insufficient to accomplish the task.  But over the next few months, the
sqiure called his friends, or they called him, and the Midrealm shire
learned the song by phone.  At the Midrealm Fall Crown Tourney held by
that shire, the populous gathered after the list to sing for the Crown
and new Heirs.  The young squire travelled from Ansteorra to the Middle
Kingdom to attend the event and was able to sing with his friends for
the Royalty.

  It's not written anywhere that "Born On the List Field" can't be
copied or written down, however it's tradition. (also a great Catch 22)
Should you or anyone out there want to learn the original (or my filk)
contact me and I will be glad to teach you, or help you find someone
near you to contact who could teach you in person.  In Ansteorra there
are a great number of us who sit by the side of the field by day or the
bardic fires by night who would sing for you.  I know you may be far
away, but as the story above proves distance can be overcome.  I hope
I've been some help.

I remain,
Othar Morganson                  MKA: Jerry Dreifuerst
Stargate, Ansteorra                   Houston, Texas
morganson at hotmail.com                 jerryd at neosoft.com