ANST - Two 15th Century Receipts for Steak

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Mon Sep 28 07:10:15 PDT 1998

Margo Lynn Hablutzel wrote:

> If I do, it will probably be in another Kingdom; Steppes seems pretty well
> subscribed with people who want to do events.  Besides, it doesn't fit into
> just any event, it helps if there's a fooles theme (12th Night, April
> First).  I have an unfortunately tendency to fall into groups that are
> heavy in cooks, so I have not been head cook on a feast in 4-5 years.

I really think if you want to do a feast you should be able to..... especially
if you help other cooks and members of the group can see what your skills are.
This way the group gets to know you and before you know it, they are begging you
to do a feast.  It's always good to get new people into the cooking rotation.

> <bit of a snip>
>
> I'm collecting email addresses, and will try to put receipt and book into
> one long file to mail to people.  I wasn't that organized when I first
> designed the feast!  It was designed to cater to: (1) people who are afraid
> of medieval food because they think it all has to be covered in sauce and
> taste like soap (rosewater) or pie (canel etc.);

Not all sauces contain rose water, and those that do .... i have found it
depends on how MUCH rose water is added to the sauce. Plus, sauces should be
served on the side so people can add it if they like.  And there are so many
different recipes for sauces, for example, cameline, jances, etc. None of which
have any rose water in them.

> (2) vegetarians; (3) a
> certain Laurel of our group who insisted the only desserts are custards and
> Digby's cakes, and no other dessert receipts exist;

I'd love to know who thinks that the only desserts are custards and digby cakes.
What about pears in wine sauce?  cheesecake (both Roman and italian versions),
fruit rissoles?I can't believe any person would restrict themselves to those
desserts, unless the feast was a specific time period OR it is just their
personal likes.

> and (4) myself, as I
> got heartily sick of feasts that all looked and tasted the same.

That is a problem of the cook who chose the recipes, not necessarily the range
of 'period' food.   In a class I teach, I always talk about variety of flavor
and textures.  And in reference to vegetarians, IF we ate meals in true period
style, many would be 'lenten' or without meat due to the number of lenten days
on the calendar.  Ansteorran's would be very surprised at the lack of beef,
venison, pork and fowl at these meals.

I would also love to get a copy of your recipes. Sounds like you did a lot of
good research.  And it is great that you are trying to change people's
perception of period food.

In service,

Meadhbh
(who has been known to cook a feast or 2)