ANST - to serve or not to serve...

Leofric Ealdricson lealdricson at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:52:01 PDT 1998

>Knowing the horror I will cause (by suggesting an out of kingdom idea),
>will mention how we served feasts in our small shire in the East
Kingdom.
>We simply had one person from each table come up and get the food for
>each course. It was quick, simple and didn't impact anyone greatly.

This method was done, sucessfully, at one Stargate Yule Revel.  If
planned well, it will work.  I prefer to have the feast served.  I don't
feel the fellowship of the feast is enjoyed when you spend too much time
standing in line, and then when you get back to your table to find that
some have finished already while others have yet to go through the
serving line.

I coordinated the servers at the last Stargate Baronial Championship.
It can be done well if you ask for servers before the feast gets started
and you give your servers specific instructions.  The instructions allow
all of the servers to work together so that no one gets missed.  At
Stargate Baronial, we served about 200 people and NOBODY go missed.

When you ask for volunteers, don't be surprised if you get some children
who want to help.  To this I say, LET THEM.  Almost half of the servers
at Stargate Baronial were children.  Just remember to pair them up with
an adult and give them a task that they can handle (let them carry a
platter, but don't expect them to carry a pot of soup).

Served feasts work.  The cook needs to find one person who will
coordinate the servers.  It is best if you can find someone who has
waited tables before, or has helped to serve a lot of feasts.  When you
find this person, work with them and let them run the rest of the
servers.

Call around to other area groups to find serving gear or, better yet,
get you head server to do it.  Other groups can be a valuable resource
when it comes to manpower and equipment.

I have been both cook and head server.  If you have any questions, let
me know.  If I am at your event and you want some help serving, ask me.

Regards
Leofric Ealdricson
Baron of Loch Soilleir