ANST - brew as prizes

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Sep 7 20:22:22 PDT 1998

Decker, Terry D. said something that sounded like:
> It is a gray area.  The Feds allow people to make as much as 200 gallons of
> wine/cider and 200 gallons of beer, but the states have the privilege of
> taxing the product and overseeing commercial distribution.  Most states
> allow a specified amount of alcoholic beverage produced by simple
> fermentation to be made for personal consumption under permit.

Although you do not always need a permit. There is no permit to produce
home brewed beer or wine in Texas for example. You can produce up to 200
gallons per household per year without permit or tax cost.

You can not sell it, but you can give it away.

> In Oklahoma, if you have a permit (free from the Alcoholic Beverage Laws
> Enforcement Commission), you may lawfully produce 200 gallons of Cider/Wine
> for the use of self, family and guests.

I am still invesitaging this from ABLE. I contacted both them and TABC
in order to clarify several issues. I have already heard back from TABC,
and hope to hear back from ABLE soon.

As well, I am confused by the free permit since on their website I
thought the cheapest permit you could obtain was $15. This form did not
cover home brew, but did cover charity games employees/managers and
alcohol beverage employee/agent/manufacturer agent. Hopefully I will
know more soon though. Their website was very sparse of "real" information,
but it can be found at www.able.state.ok.us.

TABC has most of their regulatory information on-line. You can find the
majority of it at www.tabc.state.tx.us.

> IIRC, the question was supposedly being looked at by the Kingdom Seneschal,
> so you might ask what the opinion of his office was.

Although I am not the Kingdom Seneschal, I am investigating this and
will be sharing my results with the Kingdom Sensechal and Kingdom A&S
offices. As well, there will be a discussion group and handouts at
Laurel's Prize Tourney. I hope that if the Seneschal's office is
investigating it as well, that they would be willing to share.
   (*nudges Burke*)

Ciao,