ANST - Stargate Steak Feast

Jerry Norris jerryn at sprintmail.com
Mon Sep 7 21:18:49 PDT 1998

At 10:33 PM 9/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Y'know, I can't sit here and let this go completely by without comment.  My
>duty as a Laurel and all that.

And I am truly glad that you are so dedicated to your craft and to your
kingdom to offer up the comments.

>While steaks may be good food and appealing to many, they are not a
>particularly medieval cuisine.  It is really no more difficult to prepare
>good, plentiful, tasty medieval dishes than it is to prepare modern foods.

I have sampled many examples of such fare, though knave that I am I cannot
vouch for their ease in preparation.  I respectfully take your word that
this is the case.

>The kingdom's best cook, Mistress Meadbh, comes from
>Stargate, and I imagine that she cringes to see menus like this from a
>region that she lived in for so long.

I'm a bard.  I like to sing, play music, tell stories, and eat and drink.
I don't feel that I have the wherewithal to judge Mistress Meadbh as the
kingdom's best cook, but I would gladly echo your sentiments concerning
that.  Whether she cringes or not would, I hope, be based at least in some
small measure by our execution.

>There should be no reason to not strive for more authenticity for next
>year's feasts -- so start mulling the idea over.  There is so much talent
>available in the Greater Stargate Area, I'd like, for one, to see you all
>showcase some of your local talent and show us the best you can achieve.

Mistress Gunnora, I come not to praise the feast nor to bury it (sorry, but
I just couldn't keep my fingers from typing it).  Mine and Othar's intent
was not to offend, but to do something that we do well for the barony and
it's guests.  I agree that there is much talent within the barony, it's
neighbors and the kingdom at large. I am quite sure that those persons are
openly available for comments, suggestions, as well as out and out help.
My hope is that our menu doesn't keep you from coming down to Schulenberg
this Saturday to enjoy our friendship and hospitality.

In service to the dream, with a song in my heart,
jerry.

jerryn at sprintmail.com -  Jerry Norris - Houston, Texas USA
writer, reader, thinker, singer, father, lover.
Gerald of Leesville - Barony of Stargate - Kingdom of Ansteorra