ANST - In defense of snooty authenticists

Jerry Norris jerryn at sprintmail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:57:40 PDT 1998

At 05:17 PM 9/9/98 -0500, Alaric Styrr wrote:

>prepared with period foods and bring an awareness of a glaring
>inconsistancy that people haven't really taken notice of.<<<
>
>Which you did, quite politely. I found Gunnorra's response much less
>polite

Gerald here,

I have a last few words to say concerning this whole affair.

First, I think that Mistress Gunorra did what she thought was right.  Her
original comments on this whole situation were both polite and informative.
 Gunorra's original comments were that she wished for a more period feast,
and it has been echoed by others.

After that came the wave.

I wish to thank all who are participating in the feast, and I was glad to
see the discussion that has grown from her message.  But some of the
comments have been ... unfavorable?

I have learned things about period cooking that I probably never would have
otherwise just from this short discussion.  I have come to know, a little
better, some of the people who have been responsible for the excellent
feasts that I have eaten in the short time I've been in the SCA.

I don't think that Gunorra was trying to do anything other than air her
thoughts in what is supposed to be a forum for the Kingdom of Ansteorra.
Othar and I are planning on serving good food, and when you combine that
with the hospitality which Stargate is known for and the friendship that we
all extend to other members of our society, it will be a memorable weekend.

Now if everyone will just face southeast for a few minutes, say at 9
tomorrow morning, and blow real hard for a few minutes, we'll see if we can
move that little storm lying off the coast.

I am looking forward to see all of you this weekend.

In service to the dream, with a song in my heart,
jerry.

jerryn at sprintmail.com -  Jerry Norris - Houston, Texas USA
writer, reader, thinker, singer, father, lover.
Gerald of Leesville - Barony of Stargate - Kingdom of Ansteorra