ANST - Stargate Steak Feast

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Sep 9 20:42:08 PDT 1998

>Margo Lynn Hablutzel <Hablutzel at compuserve.com> said:
>Gunnora, it wasn't the difference between "teach" and "castigate" (and what
>sounds to you as the former did come off as more the latter), it was the
>"publicly".  Why offer such negative criticism on the public lists, instead
>of contacting the person privately?  Yes, you show off your vast knowledge
>- -- and the small amount of grace in your soul.
>
>                                ---= Morgan (defiantly pro-courtesy)

Gunnora replies:
I beg to differ once again.  By making the point I did not castigate the
people in charge of the present feast, nor apparently did they feel
belittled judging by their own posts.

I did, however, spark a series of interesting discussions in which most of
the list learned many new things, including stuff about medieval meat
preparation, medieval bean varieties vs modern ones, and resulted in the
posting of several interesting and appetizing looking recipes.  Not to
mention the thoughtful discussions of bad feasts, suggestions for how to
provide a contingency against bad or too little food, the discussion of how
being able to cook for 10 may not translate to being able to cook for 500,
etc.

By any definition this seems to represent a positive learning experience
that would not have occurred had I said nothing.  And had I made the
comments in private then only the two feast cooks would have profited by
the discussion -- and they are not necessarily the ones who will prepare
future feasts in the Greater Stargate Area.  To reach those who might do
next year's feast with the suggestion to consider something different, it
was necessary to direct the comments at a wider audience.  And of course
everyone else on the list got the benefits of the ensuing conversations, as
already discussed.

On the other hand, I do have some private comments for Lady Morgan, which
will be delivered to her via private post, off list.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)