ANST - Missing Events

Helen Brown browns at mail.intplsrv.net
Thu Sep 10 13:46:34 PDT 1998

> Date:          Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:10:53 -0500
> From:          Gunnora Hallakarva <gunnora at bga.com>
> Subject:       ANST - Steak Feast, Missing Events
> After seeing a number of comments such as:
<snip>
> Gunnora wishes to make the following statement:
> I do want to point out that I will not be attending this weekend - but not
> because of the menu.  <snip>
> Just for the record, my mom is critically ill, and as a result I expect
> that I'll have to miss more than a few events over the course of the next
> six months or so until the end of this particular real world crisis is
> reached.  Any event I miss should be assumed to be due to a real world
> conflict where the SCA *had* to come second.
>
> My not attending an event has *never* been a reflection of my opinions
> about the period qualities of the event, though I will admit that I select
> which events that I will attend based on (1) will I have fun there? and (2)
> do I have some duty to be there?  If I don't think it will be fun, and I
> don't have a teaching committment or a Circle to attend, I usually do
> something else that weekend.

I agree with Gunnora.  I have to think I'm going to have fun first or
be involved in the event in some way.  I have planned on going to
lots (25 at least) of events over the last 3 years and at the last
minute (Thurs night or Fri morning) decided not to go.  My husband
was in bad health for some time and continues with a battle against
Lupus which flares up quite unexpectedly, usually when least
expected.  I will not go to an event if my husband is having a flare
up of his Lupus, he does not play, but usually does not mind me
being away for one and sometimes 2 nights.  I have had some health
problems myself during this last year, major surgery, blood
transfursions, etc.  For these reasons, I won't take chances with my
health and I will cancel if I think it's going to snow, freeze or
rain a lot and if I think the roads might be bad going to or coming
back from an event.  I try to day trip when I can, or go up the
night before when I can.  I don't particularly like to sleep on the
ground, I sleep in my van, and I don't go totally by myself.  If more
than 2 hours away, I will take someone in my car with me or go with
someone else in their car (like my son, Gorm), or caravan with
others.  If I have an obligation, like a meeting or class I am
teaching, I will do my best to be there, but my husband comes first,
my health second, and other family or group members with problems
3rd.

 The SCA is not the "real" world and other considerations sometimes
have to come first.  I really enjoy events that I do make it to, I
enjoy at least part of every feast I eat (period or not), I do the
crafts (mostly costuming and needlework stuff) even when not
eventing.  I'm the current Seneschal of our local group, I've been
the A&S minister, acting MOC, acting Hospitaler, done taverns, troll,
list mistress, setup, cleanup, children's activities at events.  If
I'm there and there is a need, I will help, even if not "scheduled".
But like Gunnora,  if I miss an event, it's not because they are
doing someting I don't like or approve of.  It could be any or all of
the reasons stated above and no one should fault me for my decisions.
 You aren't in my shoes or Gunnora's, we have to make our own choices
and hope others don't fault us for them..

I strive for a period appearance and ambiance when eventing or doing
Demos and try to learn from and teach others as much as possible.  I
don't always succeed, and I prefer real bathrooms instead of
rent-a-jons, but I don't let that keep me from an event if I am able
to go to.  I don't let someone else's tennis shoes keep me from
enjoying the event either.  Though if I have a chance, I might speak
to them about alternatives, but I'm not perfectly period myself all
the time, either.  We all make those decisions about how "period" we
will strive to be.

Enough of the soap box.

Anyone not going to Stargate, come to William Marshal Tourney.  Heavy
and Light lists, A&S competitions, Children's activities, a twilight
quest, and an all weekend Tavern.  Come!  Enjoy!  Have Fun!

Yours in the Dream,
Helen Brown
HL Hellen Bales MacQueene
Stronghold of FalconRidge, Kingdom of Ansteorra
browns at intplsrv.net
Altus, Oklahoma