ANST - Vague Laws

John Ruble ulf at urocor.com
Tue Sep 15 06:57:47 PDT 1998

Sir Alrek said:

>         2.Engrailed coronets. They may have no more than six "points"
or
> projections, which may be surmounted by spherical projections of no
> more than 1/2
>           inch diameter, and must have a smoothly concave outline
> between each "point", so as to clearly distinguish them from County
> coronets.
>
> In part 2. what does surmounted mean?

In this case, I believe it means "topped".  Early period coronets show
"pearls on a stick" for some coronets.    The pearls are stuck on the
points.  The kingdom sumptuary laws are more concerned with the
silhouette than anything else, so this makes sense.  Of course, you could
always decorate it with pearls.

The problem is their were no sumptuary laws recorded until late in
period.  The rule of thumb was to not make a coronet that was more
impressive than those worn by higher ranking nobles.  Check out
Fox-Davies for a good discussion.

Ulf