ANST - Born on the List Field-Question

Alex B lamia at mcn.net
Thu Sep 24 16:50:41 PDT 1998

Hello.  I am Madonna Lucia Ilaria Malatesta and I reside in Artemisia.  If
there is a kingdom e-mail list for Ansteorra please forward the following
question to it.  Or, if you know the gentle who composed the song Born on
the Listfield, please forward the following question to them.  Thank you!

Hi!  I heard a song sung at an event here in Artemisia recently and was
later singing the only little snatch of it (the chorus) that I remembered
and my dad loved it and wanted to hear the rest of the song.  Thus began
the quest that brings me here.  The gentle who sang it lives in Avacal and
I don't know his name so no luck there. I mailed my own kingdom e-mail list
and inquired if anyone knew the lyrics and could get me a copy.  I was then
informed that it was the request of the gentle (who's name no one seems to
remember) who wrote the song that it never be written down and only be
passed by oral tradition.  Well, that would be ok except that no one who
lives even remotely near me knows the song!!!  Also, I have learned every
song I know by writing down the lyrics and then memorizing them.  The act
of committing the lyrics to paper is what helps them stick in my mind.  I
asked if it would be ok if I wrote down the lyrics only long enough to
memorize the song and then destroy them.  I was told only the original
writter of the song could answer that question and that it was thought he
lived in Ansteorra.  So here I am.  If anyone can help me track down this
gentle so I may ask for the afore mentioned permission I would be ETERNALLY
grateful.  *sigh*  That's the problem with everyone being so darned
honorable in the SCA, it can make things bloody difficult.  My dad really
wants me to sing this song for him and I'd really like to be able to.  So
if anyone can help a couple of former Ansteorrans (my dad was known as
Cesarae di Dinati way back in the 70s and I was really little) that would
be great.
I'm told the title of the song is Born on the Listfield and the bit of
chorus I remember goes: I was born on the listfield
I was raised in the wars
And one day you did make me a knight....
Hope that little bit wasn't breaking any rules!  Please help!  This is a
labor of love for my dad.
Regards,
Madonna Lucia Ilaria Malatesta

Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.