ANST - woad ...

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Sep 29 11:20:49 PDT 1998

j'lynn yeates wrote:
> subject is of interest and would like to find more written material on the
> subject (psychotropic efrfects of woad and woad used in ancient tattoo
> work)
>
> 'wolf

There are questions as to whether woad was the dye used and whether it would
even have psychotropic effects. Or whether the body decorations mentioned by
Julius Caesar were scarring rather than paint. I haven't seen a definative
agrument one way or the other.

For some more details see these files in my Florilegium:
The first in the PLANTS, HERBS and SPICES section:

woad-msg          (49K)  9/14/98    History of woad. Making dyes from woad.

And the second in the PERSONAL CARE section:

tattoos-msg       (39K)  8/21/98    Period tatoos. Hand and body decoration.

If I remember right the first file has Julius Caesar's report in Latin and
a translation.

My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net