ANST - Red Tape Event Observer's Report

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Thu Apr 1 21:27:34 PST 1999

There will no doubt be other, "official", announcements and
actions emerging from the Kingdom Red Tape conducted
on the UTA campus last weekend.

This is entirely unofficial, informal, and is NOT from an
officer of the Kingdom (or, at present, any specific
branch or office).  I'm a bard and merchant, a member
of the Society and a supporter of Ansteorra.  I am a
long-time friend of some who currently hold high office,
certainly, but I have had little recent or specific conversation
with those I know the best.  As much of what follows is
supportive rant as it is news of what occurred -- hey, that's
one of my personal prerogatives as a bard & Bard.

OK, disclaimers completed, know ye all this: the volunteer
officers of this Kingdom are, were, and have been working
their collective rear ends off in order to make this a strong,
continuing, and even a growing proposition.  To do it, and
to do it right, they are going to need your help in some new
and some changed ways -- and in some circumstances,
that might mean doing things far differently than we are
used to.

I could not be everywhere, I got there late, and I know I missed
important things. There have been some rumblings already
that reflect announcements from the work sessions (updates
to the calendar, etc.)

There were discussions related to growth, and observations
about growth, but no specific plans to promote or limit growth
as such.  There was recognition of current demographics, and
acknowledgment that we as a Kingdom need to understand
our population and distribution of population better.

There was news about the classes of membership which would
actually count toward branch status; there were discussion seeds
planted to begin re-examining the current regional affiliations /
boundaries; there were break-out sessions to examine special
topics, regional issues, and office-specific concerns.

There was more discussion of the proposal for youth combat
options.  There was a small gathering of heralds, briefly
considering possible responses to the proposal undergoing
Board-level review which would make the herald's position
optional below the baronial level. The heralds also had some
preliminary consideration of non-territorial credentialing.

There was a break-out for Web ministers (and related: I went
to this, since the closest thing to an officership I hold presently
is serving as list administration for central at Ansteorra.org).
There was a presentation to the general session by Pug which
I would suggest he guide into this forum at the proper time and
with appropriate details: in short, Pug's proposal deals with
longer-term hosting arrangements for the Kingdom web page.

Galen of Bristol provided an update upon the status of
the Ansteorran Twentieth Year Celebration to the general
gathering.  Reminder to all and various:  ATYC will also
be the site of Summer Coronation this year. Plan accordingly.

One area that is unfolding and may be of immediate use /
interest: a new Kingdom-level Deputy of the Seneschal's
Office has been created, the first appointee being Master
Modius.  This Deputy is particularly charged with guiding /
supporting / advising upon the interaction of the Society with
the media.  Guidelines are being written and reviewed,
suggestions and experience being gathered, and more
(read that as OFFICIAL ANSTEORRAN) policy will be issued
very soon. In the meantime, as an individual Ansteorran I would
urge local officers expecting media contacts within the next
six weeks get in touch with your Regional / Kingdom superiors
(or establish contact directly with Modius).

[There is still paperwork being processed in regard to this
creation and appointment; rest assured that in my opinion this
is a Good Thing and will in the long term make the Seneschal /
Hospitaller / Autocrat relationship with the media easier to
conduct responsibly.]

COMMENTARY!
People of Ansteorra, your Kingdom and Regional officers
worked hard during that meeting. Most of them work behind
the scenes in ways that the populace as a whole never sees.
(Ideally, that is the way we as populace kinda like it -- invisible
bureaucracy supporting the real and visible fun and games
without too much interference -- but there are some functions
where the formal structure creeps in will-we-nil-we.)  They
work behind the scenes even when we never know it in order
that we *all* may enjoy the benefits of a smoothly-running
organization.

Remember this the next time your family waits in line to sign in
at an event:  there would be no sign-in, no formal structure, and
in many cases no access to our event sites without that mostly
invisible structure inside Ansteorran borders.
END COMMENTARY

This report only scratches the surface of what was considered,
reported upon, and disseminated for further study / comment.
(Modius, if you are listening: I _will_ follow up my verbal
commentary of last Saturday with direct electronic messaging.)

I hope that I have done justice to what I have reported upon,
and not by inadvertent omission slighted any area of
particular importance.  If I have said too much, I apologize
now.  If I have said too little, I must note that I was not the
only non-officer in attendance -- and that officers are members, too.

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com