ANST - Tallow Questions

Crescentia _ crescentia3 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:41:25 PDT 1999

I had my first tallow-making experience this weekend, and was curious if
anyone who's a little more versed in the process could give me some
advice. I rendered the fat (from a single source) in three pots; then
(after removing the cracklings, skimming, etc) I put them into two bowls
to refrigerate and separate. One bowl came out absolutely perfect-- a
hard, 3-inch thick tallow cake (about 2 lbs), lots of gelatin on the
bottom, no water at all. The other bowl came out hideously-- a
half-pound's worth of thin, watery tallow; with a white slime on its
reverse side; no gelatin; and most of the yellow water left over in the
bottom. The really strange part is that I started off with @9.5 lbs.'
raw fat. What went into the bad batch represented more than half of
that, and yet I got four times as much tallow from the lesser quantity.

Also, I'm thinking of using a bit of lye as a stiffening agent for my
future candles. I don't want to mix paraffin or beeswax with my tallow,
but if anyone has any advice (as in proportions, or "Noooo! Don't do it!
Use this instead!") I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks!
-Crescentia