ANST - Some Scottish info

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue Apr 6 04:12:23 PDT 1999

This is from some other lists. Thought some here might be interested,
especially those on the Bryn Gwlad list who were talking about Scottish
clothing and history recently.

   Stefan li Rous
   stefan at texas.net

---------------------
Subject: 668 Years Ago Today--April 6th is National Tartan Day!
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 23:43:02 EDT
From: EoganOg at aol.com
To: albanach at egroups.com, atlantia at atlantia.sca.org

Poster: EoganOg at aol.com

April 6th, 1320, was one of the turning points in Scotland's struggle for
recognized independance from the kingdom of England, and therefore a date of
signifigance for all Scots, everywhere.  The US Senate has seen fit to
recognise this date and its importance to Americans of Scottish descent by
declaring April 6th "Tartan Day."  It marks the anniversary of the signing of
the Declaration of Arbroath, a document that served as a inspiration to our
own American Declaration of Independance.  Yet few have heard of Arbroath,
and fewer still know of the importance of this declaration.

The Declaration of Arbroath was signed by 100 Scottish Barons and sent to the
Pope, John XXII, who had just replaced Pope Clement V.  Clement had taken a
very strong pro-English stand during the Scottish Wars for Independance and
had excommunicated the Bruce and the whole realm of Scotland.  This letter
was a strong statement urging the new Pope not to follow in suit, to lift the
excommunication, and urge England to stop her aggressions and make peace.  At
this time, King Robert had been trying for some time to gain recognition of
his title and Independance from both the Pope and the English king, whe
simply would not accept defeat.

The entire text of the letter detials the history of Scotland, restates in a
strong way its claim for independance, and relates all the hardships endured
under English tyranny.  In the end, it finishes:

"Our nation lived in freedom and peace until the mighty Prince Edward, King
of England, the father of the preset king, aggressively attacked our kingdom,
while it was without a head, and our people, who were both guiltless of any
wrongdoing or perfidy and at that time unaccustomed to wars or invasions.  No
one who did not know them fromexperience could describe or fully appreciate
all his outrages, massacres, violence, plunder and burning. . . sparing
neither age, nor sex, religion or order. . .  But we have been liberated from
these countless evils by our valiant Prince and Sovereign Lord Robert. . .
To him as the author of our people's deliverance we are bound. . . and are
determined to be loyal to him in everything.  But if he were to abandon our
cause by being ready to make us or our kingdom subject to the king of England
or the English we should at oncedo our utmost to expel him as our enemy. . .
and should choose some other man to be our king, who would be ready to defend
us.  For so long as a hundred of us remain alive we are resolved never to
submit to the domination of the English. It is not for glory, wealth or
honour that we are fighting, but for freedom, and freedom only, which no true
man ever surrenders except with his life. . .
. . .  Given at the monastary of Arbroath in Scotland on the sixth day of the
month of April in the year of grace thirteen hundred and twenty and the
fifteenth year of the reign of our King aforesaid."

The full text of this Declaration of Arbroath can be found in:
Donaldson, Gordon, ed.,  Scottish Historical Documents.  Scottish Academic
Press,  Ltd, 1970; reprint ed., Glasgow:  Neil Wilson Publishing Ltd., 1997.
This book is available through the Scottish Tartans Museum gift shop.

Today marks the 668th anniversary of the signing of this document, one of the
final steps towards Scottish independance.  Scotland remains to this day the
only nation within the United Kingdom not to have been taken by force of
arms, and has played a large role not only in shaping British history, but
American history as well.  To honor this day, the US Senate has declared that
April 6th of each year be recognized as "Tartan Day."  Please take this day
to partake in some Scottish activity.  Listen to the pipes.  Dance a Scottish
dance.  Sip some whiskey.  Sing a ballad.  If you have a tartan, by all means
wear it, publicly, and share your proud heritage with others.  But take time
to reflect on Scotland's heritage and the signifigance of this day.

BRING FORRIT THE TARTAN!

Aye,
Eogan Albanach.  "A! Fredome is a noble thing. . ."