ANST - Re: ansteorra V1 #1816

Askell at aol.com Askell at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 08:39:43 PDT 1999

In a message dated 4/20/99 12:01:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG writes:

> Good Afternoon Ansteorra,
>
>  As you have heard, the 41st Crown tournament of Ansteorra was held in Bryn
>  Gwlad last weekend. The omens were good, as there was beautiful weather
>  at the magnificent site.
>
>  33 fighters declared their intent to strive to become the next ruler of
>  Ansteorra. Since the number was uneven, we asked Centurion Airaklee Wolf to
>  stand as the bye. We had great faith in his fighting skill and in his honor
>  and he proved our faith in the bouts.
>
>  Another fighter who proved our faith is Centurion Timotheus Kalamanos.
>  We announced his elevation to the Chivalry in that morning's court, and he
>  fought with the skill and chivalry for which he is known until his defeat
>  at the hands of Sir Daffydd in the semi-finals.
>
>  Sir Godwin of Eddington fought with such skill and honor that we awarded
>  him the King's Blade of Chivalry. Not for "placing second," but for
>  his outstanding performance throughout the day. There were several
>  others who were considered for this honor as well: Duke Kein, HL Airaklee,
>  HL Timo, Baron Llywelyn, and others. We think that it speaks well of the
> list
>  that so many were worthy of this consideration. In fact, we are greatly
>  pleased with all the fighters. Ansteorra's Crown list is beginning to
>  get a reputation of being clean and fun. The tournament was visited by
>  His Majesty Outlands, Master Maelgwn, and he was both impressed and
>  surprised that fighters would joke and even yield bouts in a Crown.
>  Thank you, Ansteorra.
>
>  Gunthar was moved to present Sir Drake's squire (someone please post his
>  name as we've misplaced it) with a Sable Falcon, due to his wonderful
fights
>  against Sir Alexis, a knight of great renown. But it wasn't only his
> fighting
>  that gained him the recognition, but the fact that this gentleman is also a
>  major factor in the Western Region for the continuation of the Chivalric
> arts.
>  A humble and impressive gentle indeed.
>
>  The final round was a dance of deadly beauty. Two fighters of great
>  worth and respect for the other circled and probed. Each desired the
victory
>  but desired it only to be won with honor. The clashes were fast and, well,
>  professional, as two knights should be. In the end Sir Godwin fell to an
>  amazing thrust by Sir Daffydd Whittaker. Blows were well-struck and
>  well-called, both knights should stand proud of their conduct that day.
>
>  As the populace surrounded Sir Godwin to offer congratulations on a well-
> fought
>  list and condolences for the loss, Sir Daffydd went in search of his
>  lady, Baroness Octavia de Verdon, who could not bear to watch the
>  final round. Even as he brought her before us, she was overcome by the
>  emotion of the moment. We are assured of a wonderful reign of those
>  who are your heirs.

> [...]

Greetings Your Majesties.  What a wonderful missive!  I am Melody macGregor,
chronicler for Stargate.  May I have your permission to print the above
missive (along with a brief note explaining that it was written and posted to
the Ansteorran list immediately following Crown Tourney) in our May issue of
our baronial newsletter, The Two Towers?

Thanks you for your consideration and for a beautifully written summary of a
wonderful event.

in service,

Melody mac Gregor