ANST - Octavian

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Apr 26 08:29:45 PDT 1999

Greetings all.

I just wanted to mention that for all of you who were not at Octavian this
weekend, it was an enormous amount of fun and some very good fighting.  The
weather was more than a touch off of what the weatherman promised - cold and
drizzly rather than the 70's-80's and 30% chance of occasional showers that we
were promised.  In other words, perfect for those of us in armor. The weather
obviously must have caused delays in travelling the Via Appia, so there was a
smaller turnout than in some years, but the folks who were there more than made
up for it.

The fighting in the Circus alternated between one round of gladiatorial combat
vs bestiarii and a round of rapier combat.  This was good, as it gave each group
of fighters time to breathe in-between rounds a bit.  I fought in the
gladiatorial combat, where we saw fights between two gladiators, or between a
gladiator and one of a variety of animals: boar, bear, lion, wolf, bull,
elephant or rhino.  Each round, the herald would announce pairings and Sir
Maximillian would flip a coin for each fighter to determine if they would be a
galdiator or a beast for the round.  The list mistress informed the fighters
which beasts and what weapons combinations this should entail.

I hope someone who was less tired than I can post for us the names of the
various fighters honored for the day.  All I can say is that watching the
"beasts" putting on a show, trying to capture the essence of their assigned
animal while also trying to win their fights was especially entertaining.

I've said it before and I will say it once again -- I have never attended an
event in the Western Region at which I did not have a great time, and Octavian
was no exception.  I've always received exceptional hospitality, good
companionship, and had lots of fun.  If you haven't ever gone to a Western
Region Event, you have really missed out -- I urge you to make the effort to go
sometime.  The Western Region is a LOT closer than most people realize, and even
if it weren't the fun and camraderie is worth it.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Baroness Gunnora Hallakarva, OL

Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)