ANST - On-line Ansteorra : The Next Generation...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Mon Apr 26 11:18:36 PDT 1999

On 26 Apr 99, at 11:49, Pug Bainter wrote:

> Good Morning one and all,
>
>   It has come time for the Kingdom of Ansteorra to step forward into the
>   Electronic Age again. I am asking for all of your help in this.

centralization may / may not be a good things .... but i definitely vote NO at
this time on the purchase of hardware for this cause ...

while on the surface this seems a good idea, i have seen many instances of the
down sides of buying, maintaining, repairing, upgrading hardware to host a web
site  ... while it might be more convenient to maintain, it will ultimately
cost far more than simply buying a "box" up front.

how about a business-level long range comparison - standard three years - of
the total costs of ownership (hardware aquisition, software aquisition, hw/sw
upgrades, hw repairs, communications links / access equipment, utilities,
facilities, etc ...) verses hosting the site virtually on someone elses (a
stable, secure, commercial) site - as is the incresaing norm in the business
world.

the web-site is after all about information and content ... it can just as well
be maintained on a providers hardware than ours stashed in someone bedroom or
on a providers rack ...usually at far less expense and with a much higher level
of performance and reliability.

name of the game here is "outsourcing" folks ....

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves