ANST - Re: SR - On-line Ansteorra : The Next Generation...

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Mon Apr 26 12:25:43 PDT 1999

>   We have been limping along with our current configuration of having a
>   single website for the Kingdom, with the Officers and Orders required
>   to host their webpages on someone's personal account. At the Kingdom's
>   Red Tape Event I proposed that we put this to and end by purchasing
>   our own server. This server would allow for the different officers and
>   groups to host webpages as well as mail boxes. This configuration
>   would bring the Kingdom many benefits......

Let me add that I grilled poor Pug at the red tape event, about the various
details regarding this server.

What he didn't mention here is that the company for which he works, which has
two separate internet service providers keeping them online (in case one fails),
has offered to allow us to keep our machine hooked up for free, which saves us
considerable money per month and actually makes getting this machine worth our
while.  Pug has offered to provide the expertise, free of charge, to keep the
server configured and functional and will sign a contract with our Kingdom to
guarantee this.

Why do we need this server?  I'll echo what Pug has said- everyone benefits.  As
deputy Kingdom Hospitaler, I've gotten quite a few inquiries from people who
have either decided to check out the SCA because of what they've read...or who
are seeking additional information and can be pointed towards it (think of all
the savings on postage and xeroxing).  In the last week, I've used the online
unofficial OP, the Unofficial calendar, and the Groups listings that are found
on the Ansteorra site.

I'll also add that the Kingdom now owns considerable material that could be
archived on this machine and kept under kingdom control - I spent a week of
evenings downloading, reformatting and updating Michael de la Mare's Guiding
Hand, a newcomer's guide to the Kingdom of Ansteorra.  The Guiding Hand is now
on a clogged network where it's not supposed to be.  However I can have no
direct access to the present borrowed Ansteorra machine, and Pug does not live
for the sole purpose of updating this site; update access WILL be available on
our new machine....

Ah, well...I could go on.  Pretty much, for a small investment, we will get a
great value.  If anybody feels that the expense is excessive, consider that the
Kingdom pays over a third of the required amount to rent a pavillion for several
days at Gulf War every year....

HL Isobel Hadleigh