CR - Re: SR - Re: ANST - On-line Ansteorra : Comments andrebuttal...

John F. Hirling macfergus at unidial.com
Tue Apr 27 09:56:03 PDT 1999

Brent_Ryder at Stream.com wrote:

> I always have disliked arguments of this nature. Yes, we should not be afraid to
> use the funds in the Kingdom coffers, but to use them exclusivly is fool hardy
> and does not take the best interests of the Kingdom into account. Yes we can use
> the funds, but if we wait for an emergency to come up, we risk the possibility
> that our own pockets may well be lacking. We would therefore be doing a
> disservice to our Kingdom by exclusively using the kingdom funds when we can ask
> for donations for 'special' projects and thus save the funds we currently have
> for emergencies or leaner times.
>
> If we do not look to our future we may not have one.

There is, of course, a middle ground where a 'prudent reserve' is maintained.  Such
a prudent reserve would include all restricted funds (e.g. pay outs necessary should
the SCA go belly-up), and some period of operating expenses (e.g. 6 months, 1 year)
based on 20 years of Ansteorran history.  Such a system prevents us from becoming
the Kingdom of the Holy Bank Account while providing a safety net for tough times.

--
ihon

hl ihon vinson macfergus, 15th c. lowland Scot and all around good guy,
Stargate, Ansteorra -- macfergus at unidial.com
John F. Hirling, 20th c. cleric and all around good guy, Houston, TX --
SkyPilotPCUSA at netscape.net