ANST - Server Thermometer

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 28 07:06:22 PDT 1999

Pug Bainter wrote:

> Nathan W. Jones (njones at ix.netcom.com) said something that sounded like:
> > I like the idea of the server thermometer!  Posted every once
> > in a while, I think it could be a "cute" reminder of how much
> > this Kingdom is supporting the server.
>
> I do to. I will work with Baroness Mirrim to see if we can do this
> weekly until our goal is reached. This will allow us to keep track of
> all funds that have actually been recieved by the Kingdom Treasurer and
> not just those that people advertised.

I think this is a wonderful idea, although I think once a week to the
Ansteorra list is sufficent.

Someone suggested putting the total on a webpage. I think this is a
good idea, particularly if it could be updated more frequently than
once a week. Then those who were interested could check it more often
rather than asking on the list. Doing a graphical thermometer might
be an interesting project for someone with web/html skills.

Having the thermometer on the web might also eliminate having to even
make weekly announcements on local and regional mail lists.

Someone else mentioned that the thermometer should reflect actual money
recieved and not just pledges. I had been wondering about this, too.
Although the pledged amount may be better for building up interest.
Perhaps one thermometer for each. Or one for pledges and one for total
amount recieved including that from the Kingdom General Fund and from
fund-raisers after they are done. These sub-amounts could be shown on
the thermometer similar to the way Merrick gave them in his initial
donation message.

Having a central website to place such items as this fundraising
thermometer is another reason to have a central server, although a
very small reason by itself.

It would also be nice to have a central spot that you could look for
future event pages. Today, you have to save or at least see a message
detailing where to find such announcements. While the Ansteorra web
page can point to various different sites for these announcements
some groups may not be posting them in this enviornment because they
didn't have anyone with available web space. This central site might
also help those who have lost their directions to a site and are
frantically looking for them on Friday night when only a few may be
monitoring the Ansteorra list to help.

Lord Stefan li Rous
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
stefan at texas.net